Thursday, March 15, 2012

Disaster Potluck: The Happy Ending

So in the past year I have taken up the art of cooking/baking. I realized I was getting older and it was time to step away from the Cup-O-Noodles and boxed Mac and Cheese. And I think I have done pretty well for myself, the only thing I can think of that I messed up was some Lemon Cupcakes, I had a boy helping me so let’s just say it was his fault. Although backing is one of my favorite’s things, (it's therapeutic, and you get a treat in the end. How is that not awesome) I love having a group of people come over and cooking for them. I deemed it "Wednesday Night Dinner". Clever right? Well after months of doing this I figured it was time to see what my friends could do in the kitchen. I invited them all over for a potluck. I think I put the invitation out three weeks before the actual gathering. It took a while to get responses, but slowing and surely I was getting RSVPs. Only about 20% of the guest said they were actually bringing something. So I planned on making a few more things than I had planned, but no big I live for this shit.

Well come party time the ones bringing food couldn't make it anymore and the other half just though it was a party to get drunk at. So drunk for one person that we had to kick him out at 9:45. That’s a first at Casa de Jessica’s. But once that was taken care of and I box up lot and LOTS of leftovers the rest of the evening was great and I was glad I did it. Especially because I taught myself a new dish that was an absolute success: Chipotle Macaroni and Cheese.

I had tried several different attempts at different mac and cheeses but it was to runny or bland tasting. I finally found a recipe that was AMAZING. I will give it to you know so that you can go out and spread the good news!

Here is what you will need:
· 1 pound elbow macaroni (or whatever noodles you want to use, I'm not your boss)
   Sauce:
· 1 quart half and half, divided
· 1 to 2 tablespoons of Chipotle Sauce (depending on how spicy you'd like it, hell, put the whole
   can in. BE DANGEROUS) <---I do not recommend.
· 5 chicken bouillon cubes
· 3 cloves fresh garlic, roughly chopped
· 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
· 1/2 teaspoon Fine Grind Black Pepper
· 1/4 cup Corn Starch
· 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
· 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
· Topping: (this is optional, but why wouldn't you want to add more cheese?)
· 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese OR sprinkle with Paprika
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Blend 2 cups half and half, chipotle sauce, bouillon cubes and garlic in a blender or food processor until well blended. If you don't have either of these, why and you cooking!?!?! Just kidding, you can just whisk it. If you don't have a whisk refer back to my last sentence minus the just kidding part. Pour into a large saucepan; add onion powder, black pepper, remaining 2 cups of half and half and corn starch. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil; boil and stir for 1 minute or until very thick. Remove from heat.
  3. Gradually stir in cheeses until melted. I shouldn't have to tell you but just in case, if you buy the cheese as a block, shred it first :-) Add cooked pasta and stir until blended. Pour mixture into a greased 3-quart casserole dish or 13 x 9-inch pan and sprinkle with desired topping.
  4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until browned and bubbly around edges. NOTE: if you don't have the time you don't have to bake it. It will be ready to go once you pour in the cheese sauce. But just saying, if you have the time, bake it, you'll tank me later.
So that's my Chipotle Mac and Cheese. Hope you like it, wait, you WILL like it. If you don't you have no soul. Sorry, that the honest truth. If you end up making it please tell me how you like, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.

Keep Mixing,

           J-Bolt

No comments:

Post a Comment